Recipe courtesy of Chef Bren Ankrum – Culinary Editor
This is a one bowl meal that easily can come together in 20 minutes or less. If you’re a Chile Head you’ll appreciate the chile sauce together with the fresh basil and garlic. It’ll bring a little perspiration and release a few of the desirable endorphins in the process.
This dish is easy, quick and has great eye appeal.
Throw in a tasty salad a glass of wine, some bread and….
Equipment/ utensils required:
Chef’s knife, cutting board, sauté pan, stock pot, mixing bowl, spatula, tongs and food processor.
14 shrimp, large peeled and veins removed
6 oz. linguine
2 cups of basil leaves fresh
6 cloves of garlic
3 tbsp. olive oil
1/16 lb. unsalted butter
3 tbsp. chile paste or equivalent
1 tbsp. lemon juice
¼ cup parmesan cheese (about 2 oz. by weight) grated
- Bring 2 quarts of salted (2 tbsp. or so) water to a boil and add the linquine.
- While the pasta cooks, peel and de-vein the shrimp, place in a mixing bowl with 1 tbsp. of the olive oil and the chile paste.
- Place the lemon juice, basil leaves, and the garlic into the food processor and chop to fine. Add the pesto to the mixing bowl, blend the ingredients well with the shrimp and let marinate until the pasta almost al dente.
- Heat a large sauté pan to medium high, add the remaining olive oil and heat briefly until it just starts to “ripple” then add the shrimp with sauce and the butter. Toss together, taste, add salt and black pepper if needed and cook only until the shrimp begin to turn pink.
- Drain the pasta and place into the large mixing bowl then place the hot shrimp and sauce from the sauté pan into the bowl and gently combine the sauce, shrimp and pasta. Let rest for 2 to 3 minutes then with tongs or spaghetti fork remove the pasta on to two plates, place the shrimp, spatula out the remaining sauce from the mixing bowl onto each plate and garnish with a sprig of basil.
- Add half the cheese to each and serve.
Nutritional Information for one serving:
Calories 783, Fat 43.3 gm, Cholesterol 339 mg, Sodium 1439 mg, Carbohydrates 54.2 gm, Protein 45.8 gm.