As with all hummus recipes, many of the ingredients can be increased or decreased according to taste, such as salt and chile peppers. This recipe can also be customized to each person’s taste by adding more jalapeno for more heat and more cilantro for those who really enjoy the fresh taste of this herb. Before serving, drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the top for extra richness. Scoop up with whole grain crackers or cut up raw veggies. Hummus also makes a great spread on whatever you are using to make a wrap before topping with the main ingredients, or for a breakfast item spread on toasted whole wheat English muffins. Get creative!
Cutting board, chef’s knife, medium sauce pan with lid, medium covered bowl, stirring utensil, food processor or blender, measuring cups and spoons
1 cup dried garbanzo beans, washed and drained
6 cups unsalted vegetable stock
2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1 large fresh jalapeno, thickly sliced (remove seeds for less heat)
Juice of 1 lime
Zest from 1 lime
¼ cup tahini
½ bunch of fresh cilantro (about ½ cup), washed, coarsely chopped, leaves and stems
¼ cups of olive oil
1 tsp salt
1. Place washed dried garbanzo beans into a medium saucepan. Add vegetable stock to cover beans by 2 inches. Add black pepper and cumin; bring to a boil, stir, cover and reduce to simmer.
2. Cook until beans are tender, about 1 ½ hours. Add more vegetable stock during cooking, if needed, to keep beans covered by liquid. Stir in 1 tsp salt and let cool in bean juice.
3. Drain beans, reserving liquid. Place beans in food processor or blender. If using a blender, process in batches. Add jalapeno, lime juice and zest, tahini, garlic, 1 tsp salt and cilantro. Process, adding bean juice as needed to make a paste. Add olive oil while processing until smooth.
4. Taste at this point and adjust for added salt, cilantro or jalapenos, if more heat desired.
5. Spoon into a covered container and refrigerate for 4-6 hours before serving for maximum flavor or serve immediately with some extra virgin olive oil drizzled over the top.
Makes about 4 cups.
Nutrition Information per ½ cup serving:
Calories: 209, Fat: 14 gm, Cholesterol: 0, Sodium: 850 mg, Carbohydrates: 20 gm, Protein: 6 gm.